I was born and raised in Chilliwack, along with 4 other siblings. I have lived on both the South side and North side of Chilliwack, and attended University here at UFV. Raised by a single parent who worked two jobs and while earning a Master’s Degree, I learned very early the importance of humility and the value of hard work. Being in the Big Brothers and Sisters program as a child, I learned, in a very personal way, how crucial volunteering is for community health.
In 2013 I made the decision to plant my roots in Chilliwack, and purchased a house. A year later my sons were enrolled in public school. I started volunteering , and very quickly came to understand the symptoms of chronic under-funding: Lack of space, lack of resources, inability to have important structural or facilities issues addressed in a timely manner, unprecedented wait times for students with special needs getting proper support, and so on. What started as a way to better my sons’ early public school experience turned into 4 years of self-education and advocacy for all students in the our school system.
Over the past 4 years my experience includes:
- 4 years volunteering in schools
- Parent Advisory Council Chair for 2 years (current)
- District Parent Advisory Council SD33 Executive MOL for 2 years (current)
- BC Confederation of Parent Advisory Council Internet Safety Committee (current)
- Partner Liaison to Chilliwack Healthier Communities (current)
- Co-drafted 2017 BCCPAC resolution to the Ministry of Education
- Attended various advocacy, curriculum & education workshops, particularly in Surrey where overcrowding is critical
- Worked on a joint inclusion project with the School District, CTA & CUPE (2018)
- Established and fostered a positive working relationship with District Staff
This year I made the decision to elevate my involvement by using my experience at the board level. I feel I bring to the table knowledge, experience, ability and perhaps most importantly, diplomacy. I appreciate your support at this upcoming election.
Jared Mumford carries and endorsement by the Chilliwack Teacher’s Association.